Why Let TMD Rule Your Life?
TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorders (TMD) are more than mere annoyances. They can cause chronic pain, headaches and limit your jaw mobility. If you have been dealing with chronic jaw pain caused by TMD, call our dental office immediately. Dr. Jeffrey Suffoletta is skilled in detecting and treating problems with the TMJ and has extensive experience helping patients move past the pain safely and reliably.
Could You Be Suffering From TMJ?
The temporomandibular joints connect your jawbone to the bones in your skull. When these joint dysfunction, TMD can develop, causing pain. Many people with TMJ never realize that their problems are symptoms of a larger condition:
- Jaw pain that radiates into the head, neck and/or shoulders.
- Jaw clicking when speaking, yawning or eating.
- Jaw “sticking”, especially when the mouth is opened wide.
- Regular headaches, including migraines.
- Jaw discomfort that is worse after sleeping.
Advanced, Personalized TMD Treatments Based on Your Lifestyle
TMD can develop from a number of reasons, including heredity, teeth grinding or trauma, and should be addressed. Our practice offers customized TMD treatments based on your history, lifestyle and needs. After a thorough examination, Dr. Suffoletta may recommend:
- Occlusal adjustment. This in-office treatment reduces the stress on your jaw by reshaping the surfaces of the teeth, to promote correct bite alignment.
- Home remedies. Home-based exercises can help you lessen your TMJ symptoms.
- Therapy. Sometimes, therapeutic approaches allow you to retrain your jaw bone.
- Bruxism treatments. If you grind your teeth, you may find relief from TMJ pain with a dental appliance worn at night.
Contact our office today for a consultation to talk about your TMJ issues with our highly-trained and credential dentist.